6.20.2008

I wanna rock!

*god, I hate my floors.

So my birthday is on July 29th, but will be celebrated on the 26th. I have always wanted to have a costume party, but didn't think anyone would actually dress up. Well, this year I took a poll via Myspace asking people if they would dress up if I were to have a costume party and I got a pretty unanimous yes. Ever since that day, I have been planning my rockstar birthday party. Never mind that I am turning 27 and not 16 - you are never too old to rock, right?

First I figured I'd just be a generic rockstar and I found these glorious American Apparel zebra leggings that I could not resist. Hello, how awesome are they???? Plus they went perfectly with my new Steve Madden pumps. I just had to find a top. A top that matched with freaking zebra leggings - not very easy to find. I settled on a black tunic/dress from American Apparel as well. By the way, if any of you are fans of American Apparel, but not of their ridiculous price tags (like me!), check out the following ebay seller. Whenever I'm feeling the AA bug, I just check out what she has in her store and my wallet remains happy. OK, OK, I'll stop promoting now. Back to the story.

So my next step was a wig. You know I had to have some crazy ass hair to match my crazy ass leggings. I was thinking something black and drastic. When I brought this up to my friends, they all looked at me like I was insane. All of them told me I had to dress up as Gwen Stefani. You see, I have a little obsession with my little lamb, Gwen. It stems back from when I was an angsty 14 year old watching her I'm Just A Girl video, which upon viewing again is hysterically awful. Then I had a falling out with the Gwenster when I discovered she was dating my boyfriend at the time, Gavin Rossdale. That bitch. Then I came to terms with their cuteness and embraced her again. It has really been a rollercoaster ride of a relationship, but we continue to go strong.

So Gwen. Really? Would Gwen wear zebra leggings? My friends replied "why not" and I went with it. I purchased my blonde wig off Ebay, which unfortunately won't be here for awhile as it shipped from my dear Australia (another obsession to cover at another time). I hope I don't look like a moron.

Now I'm busy planning decor. My friends were generous enough to offer their brand spankin' new penthouse loft in Downtown Miami, which fits perfectly with the decadent rockstar theme. I've been busy marking things as "watched" on Ebay and scouring party supply websites. I blame all of this on wedding withdrawal. Now I feel like I should have something big to plan (party wise) at least once a year. Geez, I went into the wrong field.

2 comments:

Smashley said...

I feel it is my duty to tell you that I don't think Gwen would ever wear those leggings. Sorry! I take costumes way too seriously though, so have fun with it. Let me know if you need any pointers - what era Gwen are you going for?

Meli said...

LOL I didn't either, but I figure the hair and makeup and accessories will make it more authentic!

I was going for a more recent Gwen. Not solo, but right before...