12.22.2008

Year in Review: 2008



Where did this year go? Am I the only one that felt like it
was over in the blink of an eye? Does that mean I'm getting old?
Did life hit the fast forward button?

I have noticed that I've been using the phrase "When I was..." a
lot. Shit. I'm turning into an old bitty already. In an attempt
to hold on to my youth, here's my year in review:

Favorite movie:
The Dark Knight. I think it was done so well. Such an epic movie.
Although I think it runs about 30 minutes too long, you cannot
deny its awesome-ness.
I also give Cloverfield an honorable mention because I thought it
was innovative & clever especially with all its virals leading up
to the premiere (fake news casts, Myspace profiles, secret vlogs).

Favorite concert:
This is definitely a no-brainer. The Smashing Pumpkins at
Mizner Amphitheather in Boca Raton,FL
. After 8 years of waiting
not-so-patiently, I got to see my favorite band in the entire
world perform several inches in front of me. And as if that didn't
make me want to die happy, I then met Billy Corgan. Someone up
there in heaven must really love me.

Favorite guilty pleasure:
I'd definitely have to say the Twilight series.
It has made me lust after vampires and heighten my expectations
of males. Sorry, husband.

Favorite TV obsession:
It's a tie between Dexter and Heroes. Two shows that we marathoned
out in '08 and were completely spectacular. I really grew to love
the nights when we would pop DVD after DVD with such genuine excitement
and with plenty of beers in hand. I love all those characters like
family, it's kind of pathetic.

Favorite album:

Santogold - Self titled
Everyone seems to be angry at Santogold for going "mainstream," but
I'm glad she did because to me, she put out a fantastic album. Every
song puts a smile on my face and makes me want to crank up the volume
and listen with my windows down.


Kings of Leon - Only by the Night
I just adore this band. They are amazing both on record and live.
There's something very old school rock about them, they are down
and dirty and I love it. Another favorite of mine to crank on long
car drives. Every single song is good. My favorite kind of album.


Bloc Party - Intimacy
Although Bloc Party is not new to many, they were to me. This was the
first album of theirs I had ever listened to so maybe that's why I
found it to be so amazing. It makes me want to put my dancing shoes
on.


MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Such a new, fresh sound and I adore it. It's nice to hear something
that you feel like you haven't heard before. A very psychedelic poppy
album that makes you want to give the world a big group hug.


Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
This album is amazing. I have the utmost respect for someone that can
mash up Kelly Clarkson and Nine Inch Nails and make people scream for
more. I can't tell you how excited I am to see him live in April.


Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
Another fabulous album by the Raconteurs, who are proving to be one of
my favorite bands of all time. Excellent songwriting, singing, and
melodies. Another band that blew me away live.

Favorite blog:
Dlisted. No other blog makes me laugh harder or more often
than Dlisted. Whenever I have a crappy day, it makes it better. I
do not know the author's name or what they look like, but I definitely
want to have all his gay babies. I love you, Mr. Dlisted.

Favorite moment:
This is twofold as well. Both our anniversary cruise to the Southern
Caribbean and when I passed my thesis defense. Our cruise was amazing
and I felt it brought Augi and I closer together as a couple. Even though
I love my husband to death, sometimes life gets in the way and it's very
hard to keep the romance alive day in and day out. It's reasons like
these that make romantic getaways so important.
I also could not begin to explain the feeling of complete elation that I
felt when I finally passed and completed my master's thesis after several
painstakingly terrible years that really tested my self confidence & my
inner drive. It was over. It is over. Halle-freaking-lujah!

No comments: